Sports Development Overview
Castlereagh Borough Council recognises the important role that sport and physical activity plays in today's society and that the equitable availability of accessible, high quality sport and leisure provision can enhance the quality of life, health and well being of the local community.
Sports Development is the process whereby opportunities, processes and structures are put in place to enable and encourage all individuals to take part in sport and physical activity, and to assist with the improvement of their performance to whatever level they desire. The Sports Development Unit aims to facilitate and develop casual and informal participation in recreational activities as well as more organised club, team and individual sports.
Castlereagh Borough Council have developed a Sports Development Strategy which seeks to ensure the effective planning and co-ordination of an integrated range of opportunities for participation in sport and physical activity to meet the needs and aspirations of the Borough's residents. The intended benefit of the strategy is to provide the strategic framework to support the enhancement of sport and physical activity opportunities that contribute to the improved quality of life and health of our communities.
More specifically the strategy will:
Thorough the Sports Development Unit Castlereagh Borough Council is committed to ensuring that residents of the Borough have opportunities to take part in sport and physical activity. The Council are focused on ensuring they:
- Raise the profile of sport and physical activity locally to encourage healthier lifestyles
- Help to address the sporting needs of the local area in an effective and equitable way
- Help to increase participation in community based sport and physical activity
- Create pathways for individuals to develop their skills
- Provide the direction and priorities for Castlereagh Borough Council and its partners
- Forge links with other strategic agencies and their agendas
- Help Castlereagh Borough Council and partner agencies to access external funding
- Help to achieve the aims of Best Value, ensuring that the delivery of sporting opportunities is done in an efficient and effective way
- Create more enjoyable activities and opportunities for people to participate in sport and physical activity;
- Provide quality, accessible facilities that meet individual and community needs;
- Develop links and structures that help fulfil personal potential no matter what level people are participating at.
This vision will be delivered both directly by Castlereagh Borough Council and in partnership with other public, private and voluntary sector sport providers. Central to this vision is the theme that everyone should have the opportunity to reach their full potential in sport and physical activity with the only constraints being interest and ability.
For a full copy of the Sports Development Strategy clink on the link below
Sports Development Strategy
The Sports Development Unit consists of the following people:
Sports Development Officer
Tel: 028 90811969
Grassroots Development Officer
Tel: 028 90494554