Leisure & Tourism
Temporary closure at the Robinson Centre
Due to planned essential maintenance works the swimming pools at the Robinson Centre will close to the public from Monday 25th March to Sunday 21st April 2013.
The fitness suite at the facility will remain open as normal during this period, except for the planned Easter holiday closure from Sunday 31st March to Wednesday 3rd April (inclusive). Leisure facilities will also open as normal at Lough Moss Leisure Centre and Belvoir Activity Centre.
It is anticipated that the Robinson Centre will re-open on Monday
22nd April; however customers are advised to check the Council website for details.
The Council apologises for any inconvenience caused.
The Leisure Services Department of Castlereagh Borough Council is headed by Mrs Heather Moore, the Director of Leisure Services.
The Department contributes to the Council's overall Corporate Strategy through the implementation of a comprehensive leisure strategy which includes a departmental mission statement, strategic priorities and the delivery of core activities.
For a full copy of the Leisure Strategy, please click on the link below
"To develop and provide a wide range of quality sports, leisure and recreational facilities and opportunities to those living in, working in and visiting the Borough and contributing to the health and well-being of all concerned."
Over the next four years the Leisure Services strategy will focus on the service requirements of those living, working or visiting the Borough.
1. Providing a high standard of service delivery, value for money, exploring and securing funding opportunities in an attempt to achieve self-financing leisure facilities.
2. Creating positive relationships through marketing and promotion to meet the needs of our citizens and provide equal opportunities, which also contribute to the health and wellbeing of the citizens and visitors to the Borough.
3. To achieve a high level of morale within the workforce.
4. Encourage safe, economically and environmentally friendly services to our communities and contribute to the health and well being of those who live or visit the Borough
5. Improve the health and well being of the community by increasing opportunities for participation within sport and leisure.
The core activities of the Leisure Department are as follows:
1) Leisure Services
Leisure Services is responsible for the operation of five leisure facilities;
4 indoor swimming pools, squash courts, Breathe Fitness gym and dance studio
State of the art synthetic pitch, Breathe Fitness gym, studio classes and multi purpose sports halls
Floodlit all weather synthetic pitch, outdoor pitches, multi purpose sports hall, squash courts, Breathe Fitness gym, dance studio and outdoor playground
Complete with an Olympic size ice skating rink, Xtreme ten pin bowling centre and Indiana Land playworld.
- Dundonald International Ice Bowl
18 hole golf course set in the heart of the Castlereagh Hills, with contemporary clubhouse, golfing lessons, conference facilities and function room hire.
- Castlereagh Hills Golf Club
2) Culture and Tourism
The Leisure strategy aims to fulfil the objectives of the Northern Ireland Tourist Board, which includes;
It is envisaged that the new developments at Dundonald Leisure Park will fulfil these objectives by creating one of Northern Ireland's premier sport, entertainment and tourist attractions with Dundonald International Ice Bowl, Dundonald Touring Caravan Park, adventure golf, laser combat activity, a scheduled eight screen cinema complex, associated ancillary facilities and a possible hotel and restaurants located on site.
- Attracting Visitors - 'Marketing the best to promote the rest'
- Business Enhancement - 'Working together to deliver our promises'
- Communicating Effectively - 'One voice' tourism
3) Sports Development
Sports Development aims to facilitate and develop casual and informal participation in recreational activities as well as more organised club, team and individual sports. In particular, Sports Development is responsible for;
For a full copy of the Sports Development strategy, please click on the link below
- Creating more enjoyable activities and opportunities for people to participate in sport and physical activity;
- Providing quality, accessible facilities that meet individual and community needs;
- Developing links and structures that help fulfil personal potential no matter what level people are participating at.
The Marketing Department is responsible for the branding and promotion of all leisure facilities to ensure effective communication of activities and services to all residents living inside and outside the Borough.